20 Ways To Use Green & Black Olive Tapenade
Make this super easy olive tapenade in less than 10 minutes + learn 20 ways to use it. This is a great spread for bread, crackers and so many other dishes!
WHAT IS OLIVE TAPENADE?
Olive Tapenade originates from France and is a mix of finely ground or blended olives, olive oil, and capers- and sometimes anchovies. It’s also crazy-easy to whip up in less than 10 minutes.
This vegan version (no anchovies!) has a lemony, salty, briny taste that goes perfect with all sorts of different dishes and snack ideas. Check out the top 20 ways to use this tapenade below.
20 WAYS TO USE THIS VEGAN OLIVE TAPENADE:
- Mix the tapenade with hummus and place on pita bread topped with some arugula.
- Spread on crackers, pita chips, crackers, or bread.
- Stuff portobello mushrooms with the tapenade.
- Mix it in with some sauce with pasta, polenta, or gnocchi.
- Enjoy with some fresh veggies- carrots, celery, etc.
- Mix this in with vegan “tuna” salad sandwiches.
- Make a mixed plate of hummus, pita bread, falafel and olive tapenade.
- Add it on a pizza in the place of sauce.
- Use as a sandwich spread. Add a little non-dairy/eggless mayo to make it more creamy.
- Mix some in with baked spaghetti squash.
- Scoop a little on the top of a Greek salad.
- Make a cold pasta salad with veggies and use the tapenade as the dressing with lemon juice.
- Make a Mediterranean veggie burger with tapenade, red onion, tomato and parsley.
- Spread on a bagel for breakfast.
- Add it to your avocado toast.
- Add to bread dough and bake for an amazing olive loaf.
- Put together some mini-sandwich appetizers, with sandwich bread or wraps, vegan cream cheese or dairy-free/eggless mayo, olive tapenade, roasted red peppers and red onion.
- Stuff the olive tapenade inside Peppadew peppers, with a little vegan cream cheese.
- Add a couple tablespoons to an Egg-less Salad Sandwich in the place of relish.
- Create your own vegan version of a caprese salad with roasted red peppers, fresh basil, olive tapenade, and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
As you can see, there are SO many ways to use olive tapenade. I love to serve this as a party appetizer (it looks fancy!), or eat on small slices of toasted french bread. So good!
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE FOR OLIVE TAPENADE:
This recipe is really simple to make. Just get out your food processor, and add all of the ingredients (STEP 1). Then blend until mixed together (STEP 2). Put it in a bowl and serve. That’s it!
TIPS TO MAKE THE PERFECT TAPENADE:
- Adding a tiny bit (just 1 teaspoon) of maple syrup balances the sour taste from the olives and lemon juice. If you prefer it more sour, you can leave the maple syrup out. Or add it in later if needed, after taste testing.
- A food processor is the best way to make this tapenade. I’ve tried a blender and it gets stuck and won’t spin as easily as a food processor. It could be possible, but it’s going to require more effort.
- Feel free to experiment with different types of olives. If you have a olive bar at your nearby supermarket, you can get creative. Just be sure to pit the olives before adding to the food processor!