In recent weeks several messages have been asking me to share a recipe for canning sardines in oil at home. I have always been very obedient (mom, do not read this), I bring you the recipe I have done for years, and that has given us so many satisfactions at home.
Sardines are a blue fish with excellent nutritional qualities. However, there are many who tell me that you do not usually buy them for the smell that permeates every corner of your house when you fry them.
Making this canned sardines in oil, you make sure:
- A healthy portion of bluefish without fringes or odors.
- An indispensable pantry fund to prepare an express lunch or dinner on those days when you don’t have time to cook anything.
- A cheap option to not ruin the budget and save on the shopping list.
1.Sardines in Oil Ingredients
- 500 gr clean sardines without thorns
- 1 kg of coarse sea salt
- Three lemons
- One teaspoon pepper pellets
- One teaspoon fennel seeds
- One teaspoon coriander seeds
- One teaspoon mustard seeds
2.Preparation Sardines In Oil
- Put a bed of coarse salt in a baking dish and place the clean, spineless, and open sardines on it. Cover with another layer of salt and let stand for 4 hours. (With this step, what we are doing is “curing” the sardines so that they are not raw when we put them in a can).
- After the resting time, remove the sardines from the salt and rinse in the tap so that there is no rest of it. Place the sardines in an extended dish and sprinkle with the juice of the three lemons. Reservation.
- To start packing, we need a 500g airtight jar or two 250g jars.
- Place a layer of closed and circular-shaped sardines at the bottom of a jar. On them, pour a teaspoon of lemon zest, a teaspoon of the spice mixture and a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
- Place another layer of sardines on top and repeat the process. So on until you reach 1 cm from the edge of the jar. Occasionally tap the jar on the table so that the sardines pack well
- Pour olive oil in a thread until it reaches the edge of the jar, and the sardines are completely covered. Close the jar and move it in all directions so that the oil spreads everywhere.
- Enter in the refrigerator for a minimum of 3 days before consuming. They are kept up to 3 months in the refrigerator paying attention that they are always covered with oil.