The traditional Mexican corn tortillas are made with nixtamalized flour, which is a flour that is obtained from the corn grain cooked with water and lime. It is not easy to find it and an impossible mission that is a natural and organic flour.
That’s why my taco tortillas are made of natural cornmeal, which I also improve with turmeric, paprika, kale, or beet, which in addition to vitamins, gives them a perfect color. Here I tell you how to make accurate, healthy, and delicious tacos.
- 200 gr organic cornflour
- 50 gr organic wheat flour
- 200 ml of warm water
- One teaspoon bio salt
- If you want to make colorful tortillas, you just have to add one of these ingredients to get it.
- One teaspoon of organic turmeric for orange tortillas
- One teaspoon paprika for red tortillas
- One tablespoon crushed beet for pink tortillas
- One tablespoon crushed kale for green tortillas
- Mix all the ingredients in a kneading bowl until it becomes a thick dough. Wrap in a damp cloth, so it doesn’t dry out.
- To form the tortillas, it is a model to have a tortilla plate, but if you do not have it, you can also do it following the same process.
- Take a ball of dough of about 50-gram place between two plastic sheets (a freezer bag serves you) if you have the iron enter and press if you do not have the iron use a large pan or an oven pan and press hard to leave it smooth and thin.
- Put a nonstick skillet or pan to heat over high heat. Remove the upper plastic carefully because the dough being fragile breaks quickly. Now pull the bottom plastic to place it in the pan.
- The pan should be very hot and leave the tortilla for 1 minute. At this time, turn around and leave in the pan for 30 seconds.
- Remove and put on a dry dishcloth and close the cloth to keep them warm. Repeat the process with all the tortillas stored on the cloth one on top of the other.